Updating or Changing Your Voter Registration Information

It is your responsibility to keep your voting records up to date.

NEW: Update or Make Changes to Your Registration Online

What should I do if I have changed my name or local address since the last election?

Tell your voter registrar in writing, update or make changes online or stop by any voter registration site and complete a new application for voter registration. You can also send in the address change portion of your voter registration card. Either way you choose to make your change remember you must include your signature to authorize the change.

Staying Eligible to Vote

Do I have to register for each election?

No, if you have not moved between elections.

What should I do if I move to another city or county in Virginia after I register?

Call or write any voter registrar. Ask for a voter registration form. The registrar will send you a form and tell you how to complete it and where to mail it. You can also stop by any registration site and complete a new application for voter registration.

Can I transfer my registration from another state?

No, you must register in Virginia.

What should I do if I have been convicted of a felony or judged to be mentally incompetent?

Persons convicted of a felony, who want their voting rights restored, must apply to the Governor. For information, write the Secretary of the Commonwealth, PO Box 2454 Richmond VA 23201-2454. Persons judged by a circuit court to be mentally incompetent, who want their rights restored, must obtain a court order restoring their competency.