In addition to solid waste disposal, the county-operated sites also provide for the collection of several recyclable materials. All centers accept PET and HDPE plastic, aluminum cans, newspapers, mixed paper, cardboard and scrap metal.
New Recycling Guidelines
Source separation is required for all recyclable materials - All materials need to be separated and deposited into the appropriate container designated for each recyclable item. Items should be rinsed to remove food residue and checked for non-recyclable items prior to arriving at the centers. Lancaster County Convenience Centers can no longer accept mixed recyclables, glass, steel food cans, pet food cans, aluminum products such as pie plates or foil, bagged recyclables, trash bags, plastic shopping bags, plastic shrink wrap or packaging plastics, including styrofoam products, which are now considered undesirable items that cannot be placed in the recycling bins to be recycled.
Please see the complete list below of Recyclable materials accepted at the convenience centers.
In order to help us with recycling efforts, a recycling guide has been provided. Please follow our best practices listed here.
Recycle plastics #1 and #2. Look on the bottom of containers for a number inside the recycling arrows.
- Milk jugs (no cartons)
- Water/Soda bottles
- Shampoo/Soap/Detergent bottles
- Plastics # 3 through #7
- Plastic Bags/Trash bags
- Shrink wrap or packaging plastics
- Bagged or mixed recyclables such as: Glass, metals, mixed paper and cardboard
Visit the Plastic Film Recycling web site and enter your zip code for a list of stores that offer plastic bag recycling.
Recycle all aluminum beverage cans.
- Aluminum Beverage Cans ONLY. (ex. soda, beer or any beverage can that is aluminum.)
Unacceptable Items (Outlets Won’t Accept)
- Plastic shopping bags including trash bags and paper bags
- Bagged or mixed recyclables such as: glass, plastics, mixed paper and cardboard
- Clothes hangers
- Aluminum Pie Plates
- Aluminum Foil
- Aluminum Pet Food Cans
- Steel or Tin Beverage or Food cans
Glass Recycling - Suspended
Glass will no longer be accepted at county convenience centers as a recyclable material. There is no market or outlet available for glass recycling currently. Glass should be added and placed with your general waste for disposal.
Recycle envelopes, office paper, junk mail, greeting cards and file folders loosely or in paper bags only. Shredded paper should be put in a paper bag and stapled before placing it in the recycling bin.
- Junk mail
- Phone books
- Shredded paper or any paper product in plastic bags
- Mixed recyclables such as: plastic, glass, cardboard or metals
- Corrugated Cardboard boxes
- Dry food packaging boxes
- Frozen food or any boxes containing a wax coating
- Pizza Boxes (grease contaminates entire loads of good recycling)
- Plastic bags or mixed recyclables such as: plastics, glass, metals or mixed paper
Scrap Metal Recycling
Appliance Dealers are required to remove refrigerants from freezers, refrigerators and air conditioners prior to disposal at the centers.
- Washers and Dryers
- Riding and Push Lawn Mowers
- Water Heaters
- Air Conditioners
- Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless Steel and Scrap Steel
- Garbage or hazardous materials
- Auto or Marine Batteries
- Metal Framed Glass windows or shower doors
- Any Items that have wood, plastic, glass or any other material attached.
For more information on Lancaster County's solid waste and recycling program and guidelines, e-mail Donald Brown or call (804) 462-5129.